We recently implemented the Configuration Manager 2012 Management Pack with Operations Manager 2012 to improve our ability to analyse load, performance and health of our environment.
Following the installation we initially had some issues with only the Primary Site being partially monitored and no site system roles being reported as healthy. This also included components such as our Distribution Points and Management Point.
Eventually we were successful and the Management Pack is now monitoring our environment in full. We did the following in order to resolve the problem.
- Installed the SCOM agent on all of our servers running either Site System or Site Server Config Manager components
- Enabled Agent Proxy under the Security Tab on each managed server with Config Manager infrastructure running on it including the Primary. This is contrary to the Management Pack documentation.
- Created SCOM exclusions for our Anti-Virus (Initially we had to completely uninstall it on our SCOM server for the monitoring to fully work)
- Disabled the client discovery object as we are not running Config Manager clients on our infrastructure
- Decreased the Hierarchy Discovery time from 86400 seconds to 600 seconds
- Decreased the Central Site Discovery time from 14400 seconds to 600 seconds
- Increased the Site Services Discovery, Hierarchy Discovery and Distribution Point Drive Discovery timeout from 300 seconds to 500 seconds
- Performed a manual Site System Discovery and Hierarchy Discovery from the SCOM console
- Waited approx 6 hours for monitoring data to initially full populate
Out of the box the management pack provides monitors for all the Config Manager infrastructure which you don’t need to create overrides for. However if you want to start collecting performance data then you do need to create overrides for each specific area. You can refer to the MP documentation here for the full list.
I’ve created some custom dashboards in addition to inbuilt ones (Note these wont work until you have tuned the MP to your requirements by enabling additional rules). Hopefully these give you an idea of what is possible with the MP. We have a couple of these cycling through on a large LCD panel in our office which give the Service Desk staff a good overview of the status of the Config Manager environment.
OVERALL HEALTH DASHBOARD
DISTRIBUTION POINTS PROCESSOR UTILIZATION
DISTRIBUTION POINTS FREE DISK SPACE %
MANAGEMENT POINT UTILIZATION – TOTAL ONLINE CLIENTS
MANAGEMENT POINT UTILIZATION – Authentication Requests / Sec, Hardware & Software Inventory Requested / Sec
HIERARCHY DIAGRAM SHOWING HEALTH ROLLUP
I’ve only really scratched the surface with what you can monitor and report on. Hopefully this gives everyone a good idea of what’s possible and how to do some basic installation troubleshooting based on what we experienced.